Industrial And Commercial Earthworks Construction 101
Melbourne is a bustling and populated city and peak use of roads and pathways by foot and car traffic can have a damaging accumulative effect over time. At Australian Construction, we pride ourselves in Melbourne earthworks contractor duties to literally build foundations from the ground up.
But how do we do it?
Today, we will share with you some basic knowledge about highway and main roads earthworks construction. By the end of this tutorial, you should be without a doubt confident in choosing Australian Construction as your preferred earthworks contractor in Melbourne.
The types of earthwork materials
There are two types of earth materials that we at Australian Construction deal with. These are soil and rocks. Rock is a solid mineral. Because it is tough, it can be obtrusive to your construction project. We can remove it with our excavators and backhoes, making it easier for you to lay down your metal braces.
Soil, on the other hand, is sediment that comes from rocks. We use the soil as an overlay on top of the bedrock. Naturally, it is easier to dig and process it.
Between rocks and soil, we do what is referred to, in the industry, as cut and fill. Here, we remove parts of the earth that should be taken off and then transfer them to areas that need to be elevated. Our cut and fill services are inclusive of what is called soil compacting or the process of levelling the ground.
As the leading experts in Melbourne earthworks contractor, we will tell you the specific components of the earth where you are planning to build.
Here are some examples:
Our classification is based on the grain of the material or the size. We are not focused on the chemical composition of the material. If you know the texture of the earth, we can work together to decide the best approach to construction.
Here are some of the things that we analyse:
- Colour – our engineers use the Munsell Soil Colour Chart to determine the hue of the soil.
- Moisture – this is important as indicates how solid the earth is. Too much moisture and your structure can collapse.
- Texture – this will tell you if the earth on the site is made predominantly with a type of soil like clay, silt, or sand.
All these factors come into play if you analyse the soil. You need to know them before you build a highway or road in Melbourne, as they have an impact not just on the sturdiness of the ground but also its safety.
How Australian Construction determines a soils texture
Once we visit your site, we will conduct what we call field tests. This is done to get samples of the soil and for classification. We will analyse the soil’s texture, and we will provide you with the results of our findings.
Here are some steps that we take:
- Washing the soil – if the soil is predominantly clay, the signs are quite obvious because clay has a tendency to stick to the person’s hands. Silt, on the other hand, washes away.
- Beating with a stick – we beat the soil with a stick and see if it sticks. Clay sticks to your material but silt will not. This process also allows us to determine if there is sand in the mix.
- Grit – the grit tells us if the soil is rich in the sand. We can easily feel this with our hands. Clay and silt are smooth, while grit is abrasive.
The two methods that we employ to be able to classify the soil is visual assessment and sedimentation test. Both of these are Australian industry standards.
Why choose Australian Construction?
If you have a highway construction project, make sure you consider Australian Construction.
Here are several reasons why you should choose us:
- Reputation – as a contractor, we value our reputation. To do this, we ensure that we only provide the highest quality of service. We plan our actions meticulously, and we execute these plans without fail. We have completed many projects in the past as an earthworks contractor in Melbourne, and we openly share all of our clients feedback online.
- Experience – we have many years of experience. Overall, our team has more than 100 years of cumulative experience in the field. We know the business like the back of our hands and can offer a level of expertise unmatched in the industry.
- Capability – the last thing you want is a contractor who cannot finish the job for whatever reason. We at Australian Construction have many types of equipment. We have excavators, backhoes, trenchers, bulldozers, compactors, and many more.
A highway project, or any earthworks project, for that matter, is crucial to the success of the structure. You cannot build on soft soil, much less expect that the structure will be sturdy. There are contractors that will commit to a project, only to charge you more money later because they overlooked or missed an early opportunity to assess the entire scope of the project.
We can guarantee this will never happen at Australian Construction when you use our Melbourne earthwork contractors.. We will give you the complete service for earthworks Melbourne that you are looking for.
As you can see, we have what it takes to complete the job. Not only are we licensed, but we have been in this earthworks business for many years. We have a team of highly trained and qualified engineers and workers—we can commit the highest quality of earthworks for your highway construction project.
Summary: Melbourne Earthworks Contractor
Choose Australian Construction for your earthwork needs. We are prepared to take on large-scale projects. We have been in business for many years, and we know the best approach to any earthwork project.
Give the team a call now on 1800 155 881 and let us discuss your project. We will come to the site and conduct our on-site inspection. From there, we can assess what needs to be done, and then we can start discussing the cost and the project time-lines.
We have a guarantee for our work. Our name is also a testament to the kind of earthwork construction that we deliver. With us, you can expect to begin construction of your highway or any structure as per the timeline that you have planned.